Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The List - 12/09/08

BOOSTER GOLD #15 - When it comes down to it, I've always enjoyed Booster Gold
but I've never really loved it. I've toyed with the idea of dropping the title
before but I've never followed through. Everytime I say it's the last that
I'm
going to order something in the story keeps me coming back. I think I've finally
reached the point though where I've just gotten tired of it. There's nothing
wrong with the book at all, Dan Jurgens is doing an amazing job solo after the
departure of Geoff Johns, but I think it's just time to cut it.

FINAL CRISIS #5
- The much delayed fifth issue of DC's Summer Blockbuster finally
see's release with Carlos Pacheco stepping in to pick up art duties after J.G.
Jones. I've throughly enjoyed this series from DC, and while I'm not happy with
Jones not helming the pencils, I'm still really excited about this book.

FINAL CRISIS REVELATIONS #4
- Another delayed Final Crisis book, this final part
of the Revelations spin-off story looks just as promising as the previous three.
Writer Greg Rucka knows these characters in and out and is the best when it comes
to handling them. Here's hoping that there's still a Question and a Spectre around
after this for him to come back to.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS #31
- A constant favorite of mine, Green Lantern Corps
really stepped it up with this past years Sinestro Corps War storyline. Since
then GLC has continued firing on all cylinders leading to the upcoming War of
the Light and Darkest Night storylines.

NIGHTWING #151
- The seeds have been planted, and while nothings official yet, it
really looks like Nightwing is going to step up and become Batman in Bruce Wayne's
absence. Over the past couple years the character of Dick Grayson, the original Robin to
Bruce Wayne's Batman, has really floundered. Inconsistent writing by Devin Grayson and
Bruce Jones forced the character into a corner. Thank heavens for the skills of Peter
Tomasi who not only made the character readable again, but enjoyable to boot. Soon
Nightwing will be ending, and the character of Dick Grayson will be appearing elsewhere.
As Batman or Nightwing we don't know, but hopefully Grayson can continue to be an
interesting character and a key member of the DC Universe.

SECRET SIX #4
- Aaaand Gail Simone drags me back. I immensely loved Villains United and
the other Secret Six minis, so when this one launched I toyed with the idea of picking
it up, but ultimately passed due to financial reasons. After grabbing issues 1-3 last
week I've learned to never doubt Gail writing anything with Catman in it.

TITANS #8
- While not the strongest DC series out there, I have to say I do like seeing
the original Titans together. I see this as a series that may not have a long life
with
Judd Winick as writer. I really dug his older stuff on The Outsiders and Green Arrow, but
since about 2004 he's been slipping.

TRINITY #28
- I like Kurt Busiek's writing. I like Mark Bagely's art. This should be a no
brainer. While this weekly series is definitely stronger than the whole of Countdown
(I say whole since I did enjoy parts of it), the dragging out of one story for a whole
year is just a little too much. This is meeting the same fate as Booster Gold.

COURTNEY CRUMRIN AND PRINCE OF NOWHERE -
The Courtney Crumrin
books have always been a solid bet. Ted Naifeh continues to prove that
all-ages doesn't just mean it's for kids. While I haven't heard much
about this one, I'm still looking forward to it.

No comments: