Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Movies of 2009

Ok, I don't know why it's taken me so long to get to this one. It's something that's been kicking around in my head for a week or so, so it's about time before January is over.

Here's my list of 10 movies to get excited for in 2009:

10. They Came From Upstairs - Yes, the studio that brought you Alvin and the Chipmunks ripped off what looks like both Gremlins and Lilo and Stitch, but I can't help it. I'll see anything with Ashley Tisdale in it.



9. Coraline - If it looks familiar, that's because it's by the director of The Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach and Monkeybone. I know, I probably just rocked a lot of worlds there, but yes. Tim Burton didn't direct those movies.

Coraline is straight out of the mind of Neil Gaiman so you can count on an inventiveness you don't normally get out other writers. I could say it's because he's better, but I don't want to make anyone feel bad. So we'll just say it's because he's British instead.



8. 9 - Yes, my #8 is 9. Another computer animated film but this one boasts some real star power behind it with, Elijah Woods, John C. Reilly, Martin Landau, Jennifer Connelly, and Crispin Glover.

Based on an 11 minute, silent shortfilm this looks all sorts of epic. Probably helped out by Coheed And Cambria's "Welcome Home" in the trailer.



7. Up - I've loved almost every Disney/Pixar film except one, but this one looks like it'll be one of the good ones. There's not a lot to judge by yet, but Pixar has a way with characters like nobody else. I'm looking forward to this one.



6. Transformers 2: Rise Of The Fallen - I really enjoyed the first one. It was the right amount of action and eye candy. I guess there are going to be giant robots in this one though?



5. Dead Snow - Hopefully this foreign Sundance Film will see a wider release in the states. Zombie Nazis and black humor. What more could you possibly need?



4. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Yeah, it probably won't be the best movie ever, but it looks better than X3. Also, Wolverine going berzerk and killing Stryker's troops was one of the best parts of X2. So I'm expecting that plus Gambit and Deadpool, which means a fun movie more than anything else.



3. Star Trek - This reboot by JJ Abrams looks like it exceeds the awesome-levels 10x over. With Simon Pegg as Scotty and Leonard Nimoy making a cameo as old Spock, I'm more than pumped for this one.



2. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - Yeah I'm sad this got pushed back, because that means we could have SEEN this by now, but it just makes this coming summer awesome for movies. Hard to say if it can match this past summers hype level though.



1. Watchmen - I just don't know what else to say about this one.



It's going to be a good year.

No comments: