Tuesday, July 7, 2009

TIME CAN BE A CRUEL MISTRESS

At 6 years old, Marty McFly and Doc Brown shook my world by introducing me to time travel. I wouldn’t say that I’ve been obsessed; but time has always been on my mind. My father, seeing a starry eyed boy in wonder over this thing called time, sat me down one night to see a doctor.
This doctor wore a long coat, an even longer scarf and was called Who. This Doctor Who traveled through time and space in a ship know as the TARDIS. (Time And Relative Dimension(s) InSpace)

As I got older I lost my interest in time travel- being a mutant or a caped crusader was more important to me. It wasn’t until I was about 15 that time began to creep back into this poor soul's head. When Billy Pilgrim became unstuck in time in Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughter House 5, I was hooked again. I read the book twice, I saw the movie made of the book and many others. The Time Machine, Time After Time, and Time Cop to name a few.
And now, 12 years after that, I’m making room for time again. This time, the time culprit is writer director Nacho Vigalondo and his 2007 Spanish film Los Cronocrimenes or Timecrimes for those of us in the US. Vigalondo’s film follows the exploits of Hector, a 40ish man who is reluctantly sent back in time a few hours. If I told you anymore about this film other than it is one of the best time paradox movies I ever seen you would hate me. I have enough people who hate me. And it’s not cause I’m a player- NO it’s cause I’m a Jerk! Timecrimes good movie, me jerk. Listen! I made up all that stuff in the beginning of this blog to show you I know something about time travel, and I'm telling you that Timecrimes is a good movie. Fine, FINE! Don’t listen to me. I hate you.

NERD4LIFE

No comments: