Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Mission Statement

Hi, my name is Chris. I read comic books.

And frankly, I don't understand you people. Now before you throw your arms into the air, threaten to take your ball and go home, please hear me out. I know that some of you may get it, and I appreciate that, but to everyone else let's talk. Just you and I...

According to Box Office Mojo the latest film in the Batman franchise, The Dark Knight, has grossed $525,831,387 domestically since July. Based on an average ticket price of $10 we can assume that about 52,583,183 have seen the flick.


You like me? You really like me?

Now according to Diamond Comic Distributors sales estimations, the Batman comic has sold (about) $931,167 over the span of July to September and based on the average cover price of $3 for a comic issue thats
310,389 issues sold.


All I ever wanted was your love

52 Million vs. 300 Thousand.

Why must comic books be our cultures dirty little secret?

Stanley Leiber is the father of the modern comic book, but with his first published work he hid behind the nom de plume "Stan Lee" because he didn't want the fact that he wrote a comic ruining the chance of future jobs. After that, when meeting people he'd introduce himself as a writer, when further questioned about what he wrote he would answer "periodicals", only until after further pushing he would reveal he wrote comic books.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman series won a World Fantasy award for issue #19 "A Midsummer Nights Dream" in 1991, and right after that the rules of the Award were changed so another comic book could never win again.

You can find Superman tee shirts, bathtowels, floormats, backpacks, flatware and many other licensed goods at any big box store, but if you want a Superman comic book you have to go to a specialty retailer.

When did we get so cool but ignored?

What do you have against us?

You don't have to come in alone anymore.

No comments: