Sunday, October 12, 2008

You never forget your first...

My first comic book was Swamp Thing #105.



My aunt bought it for me since I was going through a Swamp Thing related phase. I don't remember what sparked it at all but I remember being obsessed with the character for some reason (as well as Major Disaster from the Toxic Crusaders cartoon).

It was about 1990, and I was 8 years old.

The issue was a part of the Quest For The Elementals storyarc, and in it Abby had been shot, killed and thrown into a mass grave. She was then resurrected by a then baby Tefe who created a new body for her mother.

I know I had read comic books before that but this was the first one that, but even at the time I knew it was different from anything I had ever read. It wasn't the kind of thing someone would normally hand an 8 year old, and I'm sure nobody could be blamed for buying a Mature Audiences comic for a kid whose favorite character was on the cover, especially with that big ol' DC Comics bullet on it.

Unfortunately I don't know what happened to that issue, or any of my comics from when I was younger really, but I'm doing ok for myself now.

No comments: